Rise to the Top
Vice President, Finance and Administration
Vice President, Finance and Administration
Reference No. 12762
Develop Nova Scotia (formerly Waterfront Development) is the crown corporation responsible for leading sustainable development of high potential property and infrastructure across Nova Scotia to drive inclusive economic growth in our province. As Waterfront Development, their mandate was to redevelop and revitalize lands surrounding Halifax Harbour and other lands, including the Lunenburg waterfront. While their commitment and love of their place at the water’s edge remains steadfast, now, as Develop Nova Scotia, their mission is to support the creation of sustainable places right across Nova Scotia that attract and inspire people and investment. On behalf of our client, we are currently recruiting for a Vice President, Finance and Administration to join their team of dedicated professionals in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Reporting directly to the President and Chief Executive Officer, the Vice President, Finance and Administration will provide leadership over the organization’s fiscal operations, risk management, procurement, and IT functions. In addition to participating in the development of short- and long-term strategies and budgets, the Vice President, Finance and Administration will offer key strategic advice to the President and CEO and be an integral part of the senior leadership team. Responsible for corporate financial reporting, they will lead the delivery of accurate and efficient corporate analytics and will manage the capital allocation and budgeting process. The Vice President, Finance and Administration’s responsibilities also extend to include the development of key performance measures, working closely with internal and external stakeholders and provincial representatives.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in formulating the company’s future strategic direction and supporting tactical initiatives
- Develop financial and tax strategies
- Manage the capital allocation and budgeting process
- Participate in key decisions as a member of the executive management team
- Manage the accounting, information technology, and procurement functions
- Oversee the company’s transaction processing systems and monitor existing controls
- Oversee the implementation of a new accounting ERP system
- Set the strategy and oversee execution of the company’s IT architecture
- Oversee financial analysis of key trends and areas in the business and bring issues and opportunities to the board of directors
- Report financial results to the board of directors
- Understand and mitigate key elements of the company’s risk profile
- Monitor all open legal issues involving the company and legal issues affecting the industry
- Construct and monitor reliable control systems
- Ensure the company complies with all legal and regulatory requirements and that reporting, filings, and withholdings are done on time and complete
- Maintain relations with external auditors and investigate their findings and recommendations
- Monitor cash balances and cash forecasts to ensure the company operates within its credit facilities
- Arrange for appropriate financing for the company’s business and growth activities
- Maintain relationships with legal and tax advisors, auditors, and other outsource suppliers
- Represent the company with investment bankers and investors on matters pertaining to legal, finance and administration
We are looking for a senior leader with an accounting designation and 8 to 10 years’ experience who enjoys both operations and strategy. The ideal candidate will bring broad business and financial acumen complemented by experience in corporate administration and will possess the following qualifications and skills:
- Demonstrated track record of success in a senior-level management role within a complex environment
- Ability to formulate and articulate a future vision and can translate it into strategies and action plans that will enable the organization to achieve its strategic objectives
- Thinks creatively and with excellent business acumen and financial management skills, focused on achieving growth and results while thinking proactively to capture opportunities
- Has a natural ability to build and develop an effective team with experience assessing a group’s strengths and weaknesses and developing a road map for success
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship development skills and establishes productive relationships with clients, employees and other key stakeholders
- Good at figuring out the process necessary to get things done and knows how to organize people and activities
- Energetic, purpose driven, takes initiative and executes without considerable oversight. Capable of prioritizing, adjusting quickly to changing conditions, and has a quick finger on the pulse of the organization
By joining Develop Nova Scotia, you will be part of a nimble organization that is making a difference in the lives of community members by building great places. This is an organization that offers you work/life balance, a dynamic work environment and the chance to be involved with some of the most interesting projects taking place in our province. In exchange for the knowledge and experience you bring, you will be rewarded with a comprehensive compensation, benefits and pension package. Develop Nova Scotia is an equal opportunity employer.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking:
For more information contact Heather Labucki, Partner, or Sara Morey, Senior Recruitment Specialist at email@example.com or 902.424.1117.
Meridia, a KBRS company, is Atlantic Canada’s leading contingency recruitment firm that is focused on providing high quality, fast turnaround recruitment for professional and technical positions.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions
Feb. 8, 2019, 10:58 a.m.
Accounting & Finance