Rise to the Top
Commercial attaché in Halifax
Commercial attaché in Halifax
Employer: Bureau du Québec dans les provinces atlantiques (BQPA) – Ministère du Conseil exécutif (MCE) – Gouvernement du Québec
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia (address to be provided)
Salary: Based on experience – 35 hours per week
Sector: Various industrial sectors
The BQPA’s mandate is to promote and defend Québec’s interests in the Atlantic Provinces. The Bureau wishes to consolidate a dynamic team dedicated to economic and commercial affairs whose mandate includes:
- Support and assist Québec companies in their market expansion activities.
- Provide Québec businesses with strategic information on Canadian markets.
- Ensure the promotion of Québec innovation and know-how.
- Assist businesses located in the Bureau’s territory that wish to make investments in Québec or find partners there.
Under the authority of the Chief Representative, the person appointed to the position will have the responsibility to support the marketing of Québec products in the territory covered by the BQPA, with an emphasis on the fields of the ocean economy and clean technologies.
More specifically, the person will be responsible for:
- Developing relationships with agents, purchasers, distributors, importers, wholesalers and other key intermediaries in the territory to foster networking with Québec businesses.
- Supporting businesses in their search for key partners: by advising them on their sales objectives and strategies in the territory and by supporting them in their market development approaches, in particular by visiting target clients/partners.
- Identifying and communicating sales, marketing and partnership opportunities to Québec businesses.
- Organizing trade missions and other activities to promote Québec expertise, in collaboration with Québec ministries such as the Ministère de l’Économie et de l’Innovation (MEI).
- Recruiting buyers for events held in Québec or in the Atlantic provinces.
- Developing relevant information on markets and key trends in economic and commercial sectors and sharing it with Québec businesses.
- Supporting efforts on business intelligence related to public contracts (security and defence subsector).
- Participating in networking events organized by relevant industry, trade and professional associations.
The person appointed must have the following qualifications and skills:
- A Bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, marketing or any other field considered relevant. A master of Business Administration (MBA) or a higher degree in any other field considered relevant is an asset.
- A minimum of three years of experience in commerce or business development.
- Experience in business development in technical sectors and knowledge of the distribution networks for the leading industries in the territory covered.
- Good knowledge of the Canadian business community’s ways of doing business.
- Fluency in French and English, spoken and written.
- Ability to manage projects and work as a team.
- Autonomy, organizational skills and initiative.
- Good knowledge of the Office Suite software (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook).
- Market analysis skills and ability to synthesize.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Strong public relations skills.
This is a full-time position of 35 hours per week in Halifax, Nova Scotia, although the Chief Representative and the other team members are based in Moncton, New Brunswick. The person appointed to this position must therefore be able to operate independently and will be required to travel within the territory covered by the BQPA. The person must also be willing to work occasionally outside regular office hours.
An annual salary between $45,219 and $83,243, plus 10% of base salary in benefits are offered depending on experience and in accordance with the employment rules for individuals recruited outside Québec to work in a Québec Representation. Compensation includes four weeks paid vacation and 13 annual statutory holidays.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter in Word format by e-mail before November 24th, to:
Mme Julie Bissonnette,
506 855-9627, extension 8831
Interviews will be held during the first week of December 2019, in Halifax for an appointment in January 2020.
Nov. 24, 2019, 3:51 p.m.